Monday, March 31, 2014

Toronto Springs CA

This is an excellent place to explore. There is a trail to the right of the first parking lot off of highway A as you pull in that lasts about .5 miles and runs along the river/stream. If, however, you go straight into the woods from the parking lot, you'll be free to explore as you wish. This area is fed, as the name leads you to believe, by a number of springs. Four to be exact. So you never have to worry about coming in low water. I discovered the area this past winter, so I haven't seen it after a heavy rain yet, but judging by the debris I would speculate that the river gets up pretty high.


I will usually hike up river until I come to a fallen tree that spans the river and cross that way. There are no trails this direction and certainly no bridges! But for the adventurous spirit, this is a dream come true. 




Be careful when crossing over to the opposite side of the river, however. Last time I was out there I got hung up in some old barbed wire that's been left over from the owners of the land before the state bought it. In my opinion, it is certainly worth the risk! And knowing that it's there makes it that much easier to avoid. Otherwise, you'll end up with bruises like mine: 


Below is a topo map of the area: 



And below is a link to the conservation's website that will tell you a little bit more about the park and what it has to offer (it will also have directions):

http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/applications/moatlas/AreaSummaryPage.aspx?txtAreaID=8616


No comments:

Post a Comment