Monday, March 31, 2014

Four Winds Trail

This trail is located in the Lake Ozark SP off of hwy 42. Admittedly, I don't particularly like this park too much and I think a big reason for that is how commercialized it is. It feels like most of the park was built for the tourists that frequent the area. However, I must now publicly admit that I judged a bit too quickly. If you turn into the park off of hwy 42 in Osage Beach, mo and continue down the main park road towards the stables, you will pass the trail head for Four Winds Trail. Keep going until you see the gravel turn off directly in front of the park's stables (that are currently empty). The best trail head is on the right side of this gravel road as you turn onto it. You can park behind the stables and walk up to the TH from that point.

Approximately 1.5 miles into the trail from this point you will see a small branch off to the left that is no longer technically part of the trail. Take this branch off. You will shortly come to a service road and see an old sign that says "Overlook .5 miles". That's how you know you're on the right track. Continue following the trail and you will find a Japanese Garden (ok, maybe not exactly. But I think it's rather similar in a wilder sort of way) back in the middle of nowhere.



 If you walk up the ramp, you'll find two trees planted in the middle of a moss heart. I have no idea if nature determined it would be this way, or if man did, and to me it really doesn't matter.


I couldn't help myself, once I was up there I just had to climb the rock ledge it rests on. It's a lot of fun and has some pretty amazing little nooks and crevices. 


I'm still amazed that this is in the middle of the Lake Ozark SP! If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I probably wouldn't have believed it. If you climb down the rocks and head North into the woods, you'll come across a small stream. Follow it up stream and it opens out into a beautiful cove. The lake stretches out before you and there are nothing but trees lining the water. It's so peaceful, and with the sun glancing off of the water, it's almost magical. There aren't many places left like this at the Lake....

Below is a link for the state park: 


And a link for a map to the park: 









No comments:

Post a Comment