Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Mill Mountain

Mill Mountain was absolutely spectacular. I was able to be there a couple days after a heavy rain and the river was gushing through the rock barriers as if they didn't even exist. There is a small parking area across the road from where the old mill used to be. The OT also runs across the river at this point. You will be able to see it from the parking lot, and once you get across the river (if you can) you'll find that the trail continues onward from the opposite bank.


The large rock formations pose interesting challenges and opportunities. It is possible to cross without getting wet (My hiking partner managed this - I did not), but difficult during high water.


My suggestion would be to wait till a warm day so that if you have to, you can cross in the water and take time to dry in the sun before continuing on. But even if you don't want to tempt fate by crossing, this place has beauty nearly untouched by man that makes the soul believe in strength and power again. 


After crossing you'll find the OT, and if you hike it far enough, it will connect with Klepzig Mill. I was forced to turn around before finding the mill, so I'm not able to say how far away it is. I hiked approximately 5 miles up the trail without running into it, but for all I know, I could have turned around a mile before reaching it. But even without the Mill, this section of the Ozark Trail is beautiful and spends most of its time running along a separate river way. 


Be prepared, this part of the trail is often flooded and there are many muddy patches. If you are paying attention to where you are hiking, they are easily avoided.


Below is a map of the area (it's not extremely detailed, and I'm sorry for that). I am also providing the link to the MDC website for this area. It provides a lot of helpful information about the area and the history behind it. Hope you enjoy! 





No comments:

Post a Comment