Thursday, April 17, 2014

Hercules Glades WA

Ok, I know this is going to get repetitive, but this has got to be the best place I've visited all year! Seriously worth the 2.5 hour drive - I just wish I had brought my gear with me. Anyway, on to the area. You start by parking your car on the side of the road in a cleared area and cross the road to get to the trail head (There are three trail heads in the area that lead to six different trails which, combined, make up about 42 miles worth of hiking. Not too shabby. But for this post I will focus on the trail I took today). You'll hike for about 2.7 miles along the trail before you come to Long Creek, which is the main attraction. On your way there you will pass through both woodland and desert like plateaus.
Going in the spring offered me a unique view of the many flowering trees and wildflowers that thrive in these types of environments.


But nothing along the entrance trail compares to the Long Creek (which, if you cross the creek when you first come to it, you'll find the trail continues to run along beside). So, instead of words, I'm just going to give you pictures. Though they definitely fall short in capturing the beauty that was there.




When you reach the split in the trail, take the right path if you wish to camp (there is a fairly large area cleared for your tent), but if you wish to continue along the water way take the path to your left. 


It has been fairly dry, so I can only imagine what this place looks like after a heavy rain! Though I would not look forward to trying to hike down to this point in the mud - it would be a slippery slide, that's for sure! 


The trail from the car to the river and back was only about 5.5 miles long, so it's an easy day hike for anyone who doesn't want to camp. I must warn you, once you see this place, you'll never want to leave. I really regret not having my gear with me. As I said earlier, the trails connect to make up 42 miles, so there is plenty of space to roam and eat up the days. Who knows what else is out there to be found? 




To get there you will take hwy 160 east from Forsyth. Stay on this road 21 miles and turn left (north) on hwy 125. Continue on this road for 6.3 miles and turn left (west) on Blair Ridge Road. There is a sign here for the Hercules Glades, but it is so old you can't read it until you are right on top of it. Stay on Blair Ridge Road 2.3 miles and there will be a parking area on your left. The TH will be directly across the road :) 



Below is a topo map of the area, enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment